ENREACH will cover the cost of transportation to your assigned city.  For those in China this can be a flight or a train, and for all those overseas will be a flight.  Additionally, if you go through orientation in Shanghai before traveling to your assigned city, we will arrange this directly and provide you with tickets for your ongoing travel.  The initial flight is paid for in one of two ways:

  1. We book your travel – to do this you simply provide us with a scan or photo of your visa and confirm your departure city.   We then arrange the tickets and send the confirmation to you.
  2. You book your travel – For those who prefer a specific itinerary or airline, you can purchase your own flight and be reimbursed in China for up to 9000 RMB.  In this case you need to have both the receipt and the boarding pass (for all flights on the itinerary).  After booking your flight, you send your recruiter a copy of the full itinerary so we can track the flight.  This helps us make sure that our driver will be there at the right time in case of any delays.

We pick everyone up at the airport and take you to a hotel where you’ll stay at our cost for about a week.  We will introduce you to a bilingual housing agent, who can help you find an apartment.  In order to cover the start up costs of the apartment we also provide you with a salary advance that is three times your housing allowance.  We also help you open up a bank account, get your phone set up, and answer any questions you have about getting settled.  This is both through formal channels such as our HR team and local staff, as well as informally through the other expatriate staff that you work with.  

Pay is comprised of a base salary, housing allowance, and in some instances, additional compensation for teaching or counseling experience.  All costs are in RMB.

Base:  From 14,400

Housing:  This is dependent on the city you live in, given how much the cost of living varies.

  • Beijing – 7000
  • Shanghai – 6000
  • Shenzhen – 5000
  • Nanjing – 4500
  • Hangzhou – 4000
  • Ningbo – 3000
  • Wuxi – 3000
  • Chengdu – 2500
  • Xi’an – 2500

While individual savings are dependent on your spending habits, it’s certainly possible to set money aside and live comfortably at the same time.  Here is a sample budget for Shanghai:

Salary:   20,400

Rent: 6,000
Groceries: 3,000
Bills: 300
Transport: 300
Entertainment: 4,000
Total: 13,600

Savings: 6,800

For additional perspective, here are some average non-essential costs:

High-speed train from Shanghai to Beijing: 553 RMB
Dinner for two at a noodle shop: 60 RMB (30 RMB each)
Dinner for two at a western style pizza restaurant: 200 (100 RMB each)
Entrance to a history museum: 20 RMB

We help with the entire visa process and reimburse for all costs.  We encourage questions throughout the process, and help you with obtaining your reimbursement when you arrive in China.  All expat employees arrive in China on a work (Z) visa and upon arrival we assist with the process of obtaining a resident permit.

We provide insurance for all expat employees through a local carrier, and cover 100% of the costs.  This plan covers you anywhere in the world expect the US, though Americans do have a plan that specifically covers emergencies in the US. Detailed insurance information is sent with every job offer so you can thoroughly evaluate coverage early in the process.  

Expat employees get at least 15 paid vacation days each year, one additional day for a cultural or religious holiday they nominate and the 11 Chinese national holidays.  The 2023 days are as follows


Chinese National Holidays (2023):

1 day for New Year’s Day: January 2
3 days on Chinese Spring Festival: January 22 – 24
1 day on Tomb-Sweeping Day: April 5
1 day on Labor Day: May 1
1 day on Dragon Boat Festival: June 22
1 day on Mid-Autumn Festival: September 29

3 days on National Day: October 1, 2, 3

These dates are estimated and are not confirmed until the official public holiday dates are released by the government.

If staff are needed to work on a holiday, a day in lieu will be given to take at a later date.

Unless you are currently in or very close to a city where we have an ENREACH centre, or meeting an ENREACH staff member at a job fair, you will likely do an online interview. There are several different platforms to use such as Skype, WeChat and Zoom. For many, this may be the first time to do an online interview. If you are using a platform you use to chat with your friends, please keep in mind, this is a job interview and you should, just like with a face-to-face interview, put your best foot forward. Here are some tips to help for those who do an online interview for the first time.

  • Do a test call. With a friend or family member well before your interview. Familiarize yourself with the software, if using your phone, make sure it is turned around the correct way. Is your connection stable?

  • Use an earpiece. Just using the computer or phone’s microphone can be distracting to the interviewer as they can hear themselves when speaking.

  • Check your background. Is there too much light coming through a window behind you? A plain background works best.

  • Eliminate distractions. Make sure your cat or dog is restrained and you have told others in your household not to knock at the door or interrupt you.

  • Sit up and dress professionally. You should treat it as any other interview.

  • Relax. Don’t stress if the connection drops out for a second or two. Just wait for the connection to improve and continue.

  • Maintain eye contact. There may be a lot around you but you should maintain eye contact with the interviewer.

All interviews are reviewed by an experienced and dedicated recruitment team who meet regularly to make a panel decision on offers. So, congratulations if you have received an offer!

Your recruiter will let you know when you can expect to hear back. However, at most this will be five working days.

Depending on your employment location and history, you may be looking at an employment contract for the first time. It may look like a long contract, but we believe it is shorter and more succinct than some out there. We have it broken up into four sections to help make it easier to read, the contract and appendix A, B and C. Here is what you need to know.

  • ENREACH contracts are bilingual – English and Chinese. As we operate in China, the Chinese version is the prevailing version. We are confident both versions are the same and as such, are used for both local Chinese and expat employees.
  • All contracts are standard. Pages 1-8 (sections 1 – 20.4) are the same for all employees. There are no personal details listed here.
  • There are three appendices, A, B and C
  • Appendix A lists contract start and finish date and all personal information. Some information will not be entered, like your middle name (if any), birthdate, passport number and so on. We may simply not know all these details at the time of making an offer. All of these details will be entered by the time you need to sign the contract when you start work.
  • A standard offer is for two years with a two-month probation period. If you have any questions about this, please speak to your recruiter.
  • Appendix B is your job description.
  • Appendix C lists all your compensation details including monthly salary, flight allowances, insurance, holidays and more.

In most cases, you will have five working days to accept the offer.

If all your questions and have been answered and you are ready to join, all you need to do is sign and date the job offer (Appendix C) and return it to your recruiter. Both a digital or wet signature are sufficient. It’s that easy.

Then, your recruiter will help you through collecting documents for the visa process.

We have 16 centres in nine cities.


Haidian: Suite 1205, Building B, Xinzhongguanda Community,  19 Zhongguancun Avenue, Haidian District, Beijing, 100080
+86 010 82488255

Chaoyang: Room 803, City Champ Building, 12 Taiyanggong Zhong Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100028
+86 010 84888485


Jinjiang: 13A09, Building 1, International Finance Center, Hongxing Street, Jinjiang District, Chengdu, 610016
+86 028 86619928

Gaoxin: Room 201, Building B, Gaoxin International Plaza, 20 Tianfu Avenue North Section, Gaoxin District, Chengdu, 610041
+86 028 87783966  


Xihu: 3rd Floor, Yuquan Mansion, 135 Tianmushan Road, Xihu District, Hangzhou, 310007
+86 0571 87356600


Xuanwu: Room B115, INNO Building, 498 Zhujiang Rd, Xuanwu District, Nanjing, 210018
+86 025 85425566


Jiangbei: Room 1002, Raffles Plaza, 500 Dazhanan Road, Jiangbei District, Ningbo, 315020
+86 0574 87647756



Pudong: 1st Floor, Building 7, 555 Nanyangjing Road, Pudong District, Shanghai, 200135
+86 021 68366926

Changning: Suite 12, 2nd Floor, Xunyuantiandi, 458 Jiangsu Road, Changning District, Shanghai, 200050
+86 021 52550225

Xuhui: 7th Floor, Tengfei Mansion, No. 333 Tianyaoqiao Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai City, 200030
+86 021 60910058

Yangpu: 5th Floor, Building 11, KIC,  No.303 Songhu Rd, Yangpu District, Shanghai, 200433
+86 021 60452020

Minhang: 3F, 508 Chundong Road, Creative Industrial Park, Minhang District, Shanghai, 201206
+86 021 54716905  


Futian: 5th Floor, NEO Building A, Shennan Rd, Futian District, Shenzhen, 518000
+86 0755 23996333

Shekou: 4th Floor, Building C, Wanhai Mansion, 1031 Nanhai Avenue, Shekou District, Shenzhen, 518000
+86  0755 21651374


Liangxi: First and Second Floor, 88 Zhongshan Road, Liangxi District, Wuxi, 214003
+86 0510 82799922


Gaoxin: Room 1104, Building 6, Daduhui, Gaoxin District, Xian, 710065
+86 029 89180899  

This is a big one! First and foremost, your recruiter is there to help you. If you have any questions at all, no matter how small you think they may be, please do not hesitate to reach out to them. After accepting the offer, your recruiter will give you all the detail you need about each document again.

The documents you need to supply will be used to process a Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit. This will be issued in English and Chinese. This is what you need to apply for a work visa for China.

After you arrive in China, these documents will also be used to apply for a Work Permit card. We will use this card to then apply for your Resident Permit. The resident permit will be in your passport. Each city in China issues its own work and resident permit so there may be some differences with the documents needed. So, the documents you needed last time you worked in China, or what your friend told you were needed may be different to the ones your recruiter requests.

However, the following are needed in all cities for a new visa.

  1. CV (in a set format)
  2. Passport style photo
  3. Your passport information page
  4. Your degree
  5. An authenticated copy of your degree (authenticated by a Chinese embassy/consulate or relevant government body in China)
  6. An authenticated local criminal check from your home country (authenticated by a Chinese embassy/consulate)
  7. A reference letter (usually this needs to cover a two-year period. If less than two years, a second letter will be needed)
  8. A medical check. There is a set two-page form which needs to be completed by a doctor with results attached.
  9. A typed work permit application
  10. An authenticated copy of your TEFL certificate (if requested)
  11. If you have worked in China before, a copy of all previous China visas with entry/exit stamps

Once your recruiter sends you the Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit, you can apply for your work (Z) visa. You have two choices:

  1. Apply at a consulate or embassy directly
  2. Apply through a visa agent

Once you have submitted all your visa documents and your recruiter confirms they are in process, you should look into how to apply.

Some consulates/embassies require an appointment. Some only accept applications if you reside within their jurisdiction. Appointments can be booked out a week or two in advance. Some require you to make the application online, then print and sign papers to hand in with your passport and Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit in person. Others you can visit at any time and make the application directly. You should look into this carefully and well in advance.

If you live far from a consulate/embassy then you might choose to use an agent. There are many visa agents to choose from. A quick search on the internet will return a list of agents. There will be an added fee for using an agent.

The visa you receive will be valid for three months. It will allow you a single entry for 30 days. Within these 30 days, ENREACH will apply for your work permit and multiple entry resident permit in your passport. This resident permit will allow you to exit and enter mainland China for its validity (usually it is issued for a 12 month period at a time).

As always, you can always speak to your recruiter if you need any help here at all.

Things like work, casual, and gym clothes and shoes are obvious but there are some things people overlook when pack to leave for a job overseas. For example, medicine for personal use, vitamins, your favorite products like deodorant or shampoo and so on. Many people comment they miss the smell of certain personal hygiene products. You should not assume you can find the same ones at Walmart in China as in the USA. You can find everything you need, but maybe not the same brands or range.

Unfortunately, sometimes luggage gets misplaced. It is extremely rare for it to be actually lost. It may just take a few days to reach you. So, another good idea is to pack an extra set or two in your carry-on luggage. If you plan to take two or more bags, pack personal items, work clothes, leisure clothes etc. over in each bag. Murphy’s Law tells you it will be the most inconvenient one that is misplaced.

We recommend you bring or have access to at least 15,000 RMB when you arrive. You will have some expenses on the first day you arrive such as a hotel deposit. Outside of your daily food, drink and transportation expenses, you can expect the following.

Hotel deposit

0 – 500 RMB. You may need to pay a deposit on check in. The amount will vary depending on the time of the day and year when you check in. You should be prepared to pay cash as international credit cards are not always accepted. If there are no damages or further expenses (such as phone calls) you will be refunded when you check out.

SIM Card

0 – 300 RMB. In China, you can choose your phone number. The better the number (numbers with less 4’s) the more expensive they will be.

Mobile Phone Service

500 – 800 RMB. In China, most mobile phone services are paid monthly by pre-paying upfront. Depending on the service provider and plan you choose, you can expect to pay anywhere from 500 – 800 RMB upfront i.e. 500 RMB for 5 months of service.


0 – 8000 RMB. Most staff arrive and can use their phones they bring with them with a local SIM card. However, there have been times the phone is not compatible with the China network. You can check the serial number where you bought it to see if it will be okay to use in China. If not, you can buy a new one that will be compatible before you leave OR purchase one in China. Chinese smart phones start around 1500 RMB for a Xiaomi or Huawei. The latest iPhone will cost you around 8000 RMB.

Bank Card

0 – 20 RMB. The bank may charge you a fee for the card when we help you open the account


Two months housing allowance. You will also have access to a cash advance to help set up your apartment. Up to a 1000 RMB deposit is needed to hold an apartment until you receive the cash advance.


2200 RMB ~. Typically, there is a deposit (~500 RMB) plus yearly payment up front. Plans average around 2200 RMB.


0 – 1120 RMB. In your first week.

As you can see, you may have arrived, checked-in to the hotel, gotten a SIM and phone, opened a bank account and only paid 500RMB before you apartment hunt. Or, you may have needed to pay a deposit, purchase a SIM, buy a new phone and purchase a bank card and pay over 9620 RMB before you apartment hunt. You should budget for the above expenses and have at least two month’s rent on hand for setting up your apartment.

Payday is on the 15th off the following month. So, if you arrive on April 1, your first pay will be received on May 15.

Make sure you have all your original documents in your carry-on luggage. They are needed to apply for your work permit. If you fail to bring something, it could severely disrupt the process and in an extreme case, means you need to leave China and start the process again. Make sure you have:

  1. Your original degree
  2. The authenticated copy of your degree (if you authenticated it yourself)
  3. The authenticated local criminal check
  4. Your reference letters
  5. Your medical check with results
  6. Your authenticated copy of your TEFL certificate (if this was requested)

We will need these once you arrive in China to apply for your work and resident permits.

You will arrive with a work (Z) visa. So, once you get off the plane, head to customs. You will need to have your fingerprints taken at a fingerprint collection terminal and receive a piece of paper that says ‘OK’ in the arrival hall. Then, pass through immigration, clear customs, collect your baggage and simply exit into the arrival hall. There will be a driver/staff member waiting with an ENREACH sign with your name on it. Simply approach them and they will take you directly to your hotel (for which the nightly rate is on us). You should make sure you have RMB in cash on you before you leave the airport. You will likely need this at the hotel for a deposit.

Once at the hotel, get some rest as the following day you will visit the office and sign your employment contract.

After what was hopefully a nice rest, the next few days typical schedule will look like the following.

Monday: Arrive in Shanghai. Generally, we have pre-determined arrival dates for new expatriate staff. For this reason, we organize a few days of training centrally in Shanghai. The only things to do on this day are to one, arrive and two, check in to your hotel.

Tuesday: HR Onboarding. We will bring you into ENREACH HQ and tell you a little more about the company, go through your contract and the employee handbook and enjoy a nice traditional lunch together. We will help Shanghai based teachers get a SIM card and bank account if there is enough time after lunch. Teachers based in other cities will get a SIM card and open a bank account once they arrive on their home city.

Wednesday: Further training. We will cover what courses we offer students, the course objectives, how to access materials and more to help set you up to be successful in your new position.

Thursday: Start apartment hunt OR travel your to home city. We take care of this for you. In the afternoon, if there is time, we help you get a phone and bank account.

Friday: Day off to apartment hunt

Saturday: Day off to apartment hunt

Sunday: Day to complete moving to apartment

Monday: Manager to determine schedule

Most people bring their phone with them and simply go to a store and get a SIM card after they arrive. In most cases, this will work. However, there are some instances where the phone is not compatible with a China SIM card and you will need to purchase a new phone. You need a local phone number in China for just about everything and it can delay getting settled if you don’t do this soon after you arrive.

It is best to wait until you are in the city in which you will be living and working to get a SIM card as in many locations, you will need a local phone number to open a bank account. Depending on the bank, it may not be possible to use a Shanghai number to open a bank account in Chengdu for example. So, once you are in the city you will be living and working, an ENREACH staff member will help you go to the store to get a SIM card and number.

There are different companies like China Unicom and China Telecom. In most cases, new staff are happy to take the recommendation of the local Chinese staff in the office.

First, you will need to choose a number. There are different priced numbers to choose from. For example, the more 8’s in the number, the more expensive it will be. The more 4’s you have, the cheaper it will be.

Just like most places in the world, there are different plans. You may be required to pay a larger amount of money up front to secure a better plan. For example, 500RMB which covers you for the next five or six months. By the time you need to add money to your account, you should have mobile banking set up or apps, which makes this easy.

Now that you have your phone number, you can open a bank account. Some banks also require you to have a rental contract or police registration form to prove your address. So you may need to wait a few more days in some cases. However, you will at least need to take:

  1. Your original passport
  2. A small amount of cash to deposit and pay for your bank card
  3. Your phone with new China SIM card inserted
  4. Your tax ID in your home country
  5. Master employment contract you signed with ENREACH
  6. A second form of ID might be needed
  7. Rental contract or police registration form

It can take some time to open the account so patience is also needed. In some cases, you may not be able to complete all steps in one visit and you may need to go and collect your bankcard at a later date.

Yes. Now you have your bank account, we can start the salary advance process. The local HR staff will help you make the application. We recommend all staff take the salary advance. It is only made available for new staff when first offered. We are able to advance you three times your monthly housing allowance to help you get set up. This will go a long way to covering all the funds you need to secure an apartment in China.

You will just need to sign one document and then we will take the steps to deposit the advance into your newly opened bank account. This usually takes just two business days.

The advance is then paid back from your first three full paychecks. We will deduct the money automatically before depositing your salary into your bank account.

For example:

  • You arrive in China on April 16
  • On May 15, you receive your salary for April (April 16 – 30).
  • On June 15, you receive your salary from May (May 1-31). The first deduction will be made from this paycheck.
  • Further deductions will be made from your June and July salaries.
  • You will receive your first full paycheck for your August salary

You will sign the employment contract on your first day in the office. This is one of the first things we do as it is needed for opening your bank account and applying for your work permit. The contract will be the same as the offer sent to you initially. The only changes are your personal details (middle name, date of birth etc.) and exact employment dates have been entered.

  1. It is the same as the offer that was sent to you initially. The only changes are your personal details (middle name, date of birth etc.) and exact dates have been entered.
  2. ENREACH contracts are standard.
  3. ENREACH contracts are bilingual – English and Chinese. As we operate in China, the Chinese version is the prevailing version. We are confident both versions are the same and as such, are used for both local Chinese and expat employees.
  4. They consist of four parts: The master contract and Appendix A, B and C
  5. The master contract (Pages 1-8 (sections 1 – 20.4)) are the same for all employees. There are no personal details listed here.
  6. Appendix A lists contract start and finish date and all personal information. Some information will not be entered, like your middle name (if any), birthdate, passport number and so on. We may simply not know all these details at the time of making an offer. All of these details will be entered by the time you need to sign the contract when you start work.
  7. A standard offer is for two years with a two-month probation period. If you any questions about this, please speak to your recruiter.
  8. Appendix B is your job description.
  9. Appendix C lists all your compensation details including monthly salary, flight allowances, insurance, holidays and more.

The Employee Handbook is where you can find information on such things as:

  • Employment policies
  • Employee responsibilities
  • Code of conduct
  • Attendance and leave
  • Salary and benefits
  • Business travel and expense policies
  • Performance appraisal assessment and procedures
  • Position and job title adjustments
  • Disciplinary actions
  • Complaint and grievance procedures and
  • More

In addition to signing a master employment contract, employees must also sign an acknowledgement of the Employee Handbook. There are no personal employee details listed in the Employee Handbook. It is a standard document for all employees.

On payday each month, you will be emailed a copy of your pay slip to your ENREACH email account.

You may have a few questions on how to read and understand it fully. Each employee, both Chinese and expat receive the same style payslip. So there may be some columns that do not apply to you as an expat employee. So to help you understand, we have created a simple guide that explains all the possible payment and tax entries. You will receive this before your first payslip. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you should contact your line manager, Academic Business Manager or payroll representative and they will only be too happy to help explain it further.

All expatriate employees have 15 days annual leave per year for the first two years with ENREACH. Annual leave is calculated per calendar year. You simply need to apply to your line manager by email. Once approved, you can make your travel/holiday plans.

There are certain times of the year you will not be granted leave, such as during parts of the school semester and summer and winter courses. There are plenty of opportunities to take leave between the semesters or around exam times.

Your individual work schedule is determined by your line manager. Schedules are generally set but there are some changes that can occur over the course of the year. Here are a few different types of change.

In normal school semesters, the weekday schedule will largely stay the same. There may be times when a public school will cancel or move a class and our teaching schedule will adjust as needed.

During the summer and winter breaks there are no classes in the public schools. Therefore, teachers can come to the ENREACH center. During this time, we generally run classes from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Teachers will generally then have Saturday and Sunday off.

At times, teachers go on annual leave or may need to take extended leave in the event of an illness. ENREACH then needs to cover this teacher’s schedule. Extra classes may then be added to a schedule but still within the 30 class hours and 40 hours total per week. For anything above this, teachers are compensated. ENREACH does not pay overtime for but rather gives time back in lieu.  

During the school term

The schedule totals 40 hours divided up between office time, course (class) time and travel (to and from schools) time. Travel time is only on Monday to Friday when you may travel to and from public schools.During weekdays, teachers teach out in public schools within the city. In some cases, you may then need to travel from the office to a school or between schools. This travel time is factored into the schedule. Please note though, this is not travel time to and from work. On Saturday and Sunday, as there are no classes in the public schools, teachers teach in the ENREACH center (usually this is the same location as the office). Therefore, there is no travel time. Everyone is entitled to a one-hour break that is taken in addition to office time.

Some classes in public schools start before 9 am. This is not the case for all teachers but in some schools, there are early classes before 9am. As such, the day finishes earlier.

Once the course begins it will then run to the end of the semester in the public school. In the ENREACH center (typically Saturday and Sunday classes), classes generally run for 10 weeks for a 12 – 15 week period (as some weeks there are no classes due to holidays, tournaments, festivals and so on).

ENREACH does not supply accommodation or apartments. We provide support for you to find your own accommodation. In the end, everyone always finds the perfect place for themselves. Things move quickly in China and the apartment hunting process is no different. It’s possible to look at a place, make a deposit and move in the next day. It is far easier to rent something than in many other countries.

First things first, you need to decide if you want to live alone and rent an apartment yourself, or just a room in a shared apartment.

If you decide to rent an apartment, ENREACH will help you through this. In some locations you may be provided with a list of agents to call and set up viewings. In other locations, you may have a staff member go and look at apartments with you, speak to the rental agent and property owner on your behalf and support in any other way necessary. They are experts in the apartment hunting process and will help you find the place that is perfect for you. The level of support differs depending on what you need.

There are some things to remember that will help when viewing apartments.

  1. As things move so quickly, the agent may take you to view an apartment with someone still living there. The apartment may be fully set up and the current tenant may not have packed a thing. Or, they could be at any stage of moving out with boxes half packed.
  2. If you find an apartment you like, move quickly. You can pay a deposit to hold the apartment. You can then pay the rent, deposit and agent fee later. Just note, if you then change your mind, you will lose the deposit.
  3. Apartments come furnished. They will have bedframes, mattresses, couches, tables, chairs, and white goods like a fridge and washing machine.
  4. Dryers are not common in China. You will need to hang clothes to dry.
  5. Apartments are rarely cleaned after someone moves out and before you view them or move in. So, you need to think about what it would look like after a good cleaning.
  6. You can negotiate on just about everything. If the fridge is too old or small, ask if it can be replaced with a new or bigger one. If the couch is old or ripped, ask for a new one. If the rent is a little too high, can ask for a discount. If the apartment is unclean, ask for it to be thoroughly cleaned before you move in and pay the remainder of the rent.
  7. Being China, you can always hire someone to help with the cleaning before moving in too.

Once you have found your new apartment, you will need to pay a deposit to hold the apartment. This amount varies but is usually around 500 – 1000 RMB. You then make a time and place to pay the remainder.

You typically pay three month’s rent up front. Therefore, you can expect to pay the following:

  • Rent: 3 x monthly rent
  • Security deposit: 1 months’ rent
  • Agent fee: Anywhere from 35% – 100% of one month’s rent

All expatriate staff can apply for a salary advance of up to three times the monthly housing allowance in their employment contract to help cover some of these costs. Local HR staff will help employees with applying for this. It is typically paid within three business days after opening a bank account.

Now that you have paid your three-month’s rent, security deposit, and agent fee, you will not need to pay rent for another three months. In three months’ time, you will just need to pay three months rent again. Moving forward, you will continue to pay rent quarterly. For example, if you moved in on June 1, you will pay for June, July and August. You then do not need to pay rent again until September 1. On September 1, you will pay rent for September, October and November.

In some cases, you might be able to pay rent monthly, however, it is common for your landlord to then ask for a higher monthly fee.

Landlords will either ask for cash, a bank transfer (which can easily be done at an ATM) or mobile payment/transfer which you can do from an app on your phone. More and more landlords now are accepting mobile payments. One of our staff members will be happy to help here too.

will need to have your fingerprints taken at a fingerprint collection terminal and receive a piece of paper that says ‘OK’ in the arrival hall. Then, pass though immigration, clear customs, collect your baggage and simply exit into the arrival hall. There will be a driver/staff member waiting with an ENREACH sign with your name on it. Simply approach them and they will take you directly to your hotel (for which the nightly rate is on us). You should make sure you have RMB in cash on you before you leave the airport. You will likely need this at the hotel for a deposit.

Once at the hotel, get some rest as the following day you will visit the office and sign your employment contract.

You must register at your local police station once you find an apartment. In some locations, you can do this online. Your local HR staff will know if this is possible where you live.

Once you have signed a lease/rental agreement you need to register within 24 hours. If you fail to do this, you may be issued a warning letter or pay a fine. In some cities, this can be 500RMB per day you fail to register. More than a warning or fine, this affects your visa process. When you register, you will receive a Form of Temporary Resident’s Registration (or called something similar). This is needed for apply for your Resident Permit.

You will need:

  • Original passport
  • Copy of your passport photo page
  • Copy of your current residence permit/visa
  • Copy of the last entry stamp into China
  • Original rental agreement/lease
  • Your phone number
  • Copy of your rental agreement/lease
  • Copy of your landlord’s ID card and phone number
  • Copy of the household registration
  • Any other documents that may be requested by your local police station

You must update this form any time if:

  • you move apartments (go to the police station near your new apartment)
  • you change your phone number
  • you get a new passport
  • you get a new resident permit
  • you re-enter mainland China

In some locations, you can do this online too.

This depends on your housing situation and the city you live in. Generally, you will receive a bill in your postbox for each utility. By the time you receive the first bill, you will likely have mobile payments set up on your phone.

Paying the bill may be as easy as scanning a QR code on the bill and making the payment. Or, you may have to download a utility app, enter a customer number on the bill and then make the payment. If this does not work for whatever reason, you can take the bill to the convenience store and make the payment there. Your landlord and agent can help here too.

In some cities, the landlord will have a specific bank account from which utility bills are deducted. The landlord will give you the bankcard when they hand you the keys to the apartment. You simply have to deposit money into this account and make sure the balance of the account is sufficient to cover the withdrawals for the bills.

Some landlords cover the utility bills initially and reach out to you separately for you to pay them back each month.

Like most countries, individual income tax is a little complicated. Not all salary is taxed and even then, there is a standard deduction from the amount of tax you pay.

China has a progressive tax policy. Employees who live in China for more than 183 days in one calendar year will be defined as a resident. Therefore, the employee should follow the new progressive Individual Income Tax (IIT) policy. Each month, tax is deducted from your salary before it is deposited into your bank account. This amount is then reported to the local tax bureau. The tax rate increases as the year progresses and amount of money you earn increases. The tax rate starts at 3%.

Employees who live in china for less than 183 days in one calendar year will be defined as a non-resident. Non-residents will follow the average IIT policy. The tax rate remains the same for the year.

So in a non-leap year, if you arrive in China on or after 3 July (less than 183 days), the average ITT policy will still apply. For expatriate employees who arrive in China on or before July 2 the progressive tax policy will apply.

In most cases, the amount of tax you pay over a twelve month period will be the same under either policy.

You will arrive on a work (Z) visa. This visa is valid for three months from the date of issue and only valid for 30 days from the date of entry into the People’s Republic of China. It is a single entry visa.

Within 30 days, we will apply for a multiple entry resident permit for you. This will be pasted into your passport and allow you to exit and re-enter China for the validity of the permit. Although called a resident permit, is acts as a visa. Resident permit and visa are terms used interchangeably when referring to expatriates who live and work in China.

The process usually looks like this:

  1. Arrive in China
  2. Medical check (yes, even if you had one before you arrived)
  3. Once you sign a rental agreement/lease, go to your local police station to register
  4. Receive medical check results
  5. Company applies online for your work permit
  6. Company receives work permit
  7. Together with the company, you go to the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) and apply for the Resident Permit
  8. The processing time is usually seven working days but this can be longer in some regions
  9. Receive your passport with Resident Permit
  10. Go back to your local police station and update your registered information with the new resident permit details
  11. Enjoy your time in China. Within two months of the expiry of the Resident Permit, the company can apply to renew the work and resident permit

The whole process takes around five weeks. You are not able to leave mainland China within this time. If you leave, you will not be allowed to re-enter without starting the process again from the very beginning.

Yes, you will need to have a health check after you arrive in China. One of our staff will accompany you to the health check facility. You should not eat or drink past 9 p.m. the night before and refrain from drinking any alcohol the day before. Most medical check facilities are very modern and clean but operate a little differently to what you might be used to and the order may be a little different in each city. In some locations, they may use the results you supplied before you arrived in China and this will not need to be taken again. However, you can expect the following.

  • First, our staff will help you register. You will need your passport and passport sized photos. You will then start the medical check. Our staff member will take you to where to begin and have to leave you.
  • Document checking. A staff member will check your information, photo and then gather some papers and stickers and staple everything together. They will hand you a stack of papers bound together and you take these with you through the process.
  • Change your clothes. You will need to change into a gown. There are usually separate change rooms for men and women or individual changing rooms with lockers. There will be instructions on what to do on the wall or behind the door. In most cases, you just remove the upper clothing and any belt. You then wear the robe.
  • Move to room one unless you were told to start somewhere else.
  • After you complete one test, you are told which room to go to next.
  • There are several rooms to go to with a different part of the medical check in each. Just hand the bound papers to the doctor/staff in each room. You can expect to have your blood and urine taken, an x-ray, a sight and hearing test, an electrocardiogram(ECG/EKG), an ultrasound and a doctor’s consultation regarding your medical history.
  • Once finished, go back and get changed and hand the bound papers to the staff.
  • Usually we arrange for the medical certificate to be sent to the local HR staff who will help process your visa.

This is what will allow you to live, work and exit and re-enter mainland China. You will receive this five to six weeks after you first arrive in China. It will be pasted into your passport and is normally valid for one year. Therefore, if you have a two-year contact, we easily renew this before it expires. You will be able to leave and re-enter China for its validity.

Resident permit and visa are terms used interchangeably when referring to expatriates who live and work in China.

There are a few options here such as PayPal or a direct bank transfer. PayPal requires a Chinese and foreign PayPal account for which you may need the phone number you registered he account with). The most common way is to do a direct bank transfer.

Sending money out of China by direct bank transfer is possible. Once you receive your work and resident permit and have had at least one salary payment, you will be able to send money abroad. To send more than the equivalent of 500 USD per day, you will need to take certain documentation with you to the bank and do this in person. It can take a little longer at the bank in China to do things than it takes in the west.

You will need to take:

  1. Your passport
  2. Overseas bank address
  3. Overseas Account number
  4. Bank routing number
  5. SWIFT code
  6. Original employment contract
  7. Latest income tax document (from the local tax bureau)

If you do not have the above tax statement or employment contract, you can still convert from RMB to a foreign currency at the bank but will be subject to the 500 USD daily limit. In this case, more than one trip to the bank may be required.

Any way you send money will charge to convert your money to a foreign currency. It is about 200 RMB with the bank but it has been reported it has the better exchange rates. PayPal is a little more (about 35 USD) but it is more efficient once you get it set up.

ENREACH provides health insurance to all expatriate staff. It provides worldwide emergency medical coverage excluding USA (but includes USA for US passport holders for emergencies only up to a certain dollar amount).

For out-patient treatment where you visit a doctor or hospital, you will be required to pay 100% upfront. Once you have received treatment, you can then make a claim for reimbursement. You will be reimbursed 80% for all eligible claims. This is a fairly easy process and most claims can be made via the app on your phone without the need to submit a paper claim. Claims below 3000 RMB can be made directly on the app.

For in-patient treatment for more serious conditions which require you to be admitted to hospital, you can contact the insurance company directly for pre-approval. Bills will be settled between the hospital and insurance company directly.

For both instances, you will need your original passport and insurance card.

From within the app you can:

  • find all your personal details (in case you do not have your insurance card on you
  • do advanced searches of hospitals for specific doctors or departments
  • get directions and addresses (in English and Chinese)
  • find healthy tips
  • make appointments
  • get pre-authorization for treatments
  • get pharmacy delivery and so on

Your recruiter will be happy to talk to you more about this at any time.

As ENREACH continues to grow, it offers the opportunity for further development of our staff. We have academic team leadership positions in centers as well as regional program leader positions (Drama, CRW, Speech, Debate). Not all positions exist in every region. These are viewed as trainee management positions and used as a future pathway to academic management positions, curriculum development positions and the Academic Business Manager position. These roles are about improving academic standards, liaising with other departments and creating a team atmosphere within each center in general. These positions require staff to apply.

Who should apply?

Academic staff who have an interest in developing their leadership abilities and who are looking at potential managerial roles in the future and are able to commit to another 1-2 years at ENREACH.

What are we looking for?

We are seeking applicants who have the potential to be successful at ENREACH. Specifically we have found that successful employees are:

  • Relationship builders. Specifically are able to build relationships within ENREACH with local staff, colleagues, managers, students and parents and take opportunities to strengthen these relationships. This is done through building trust, being empathetic and having concern for others.
  • Flexible. Specifically are able to take a step back, see others’ perspectives and create an atmosphere of cooperation with classes and lessons as well as activities that support others’ work in the center.
  • Results orientated. Specifically have a sense of urgency to get things done and do what is needed to capture examples of student success, improve student enrollment and implement critical thinking and creativity routines within the ENREACH classrooms.
  • Agile with learning. Have demonstrated a willingness to learn and adapt teaching skills to new situations.
  • Ambitious. Energetic, positive employees who take pride in their work and have a drive to succeed both in the classroom and outside.

What are the positions?

  • Academic Team Leader
  • Program Leader

#Program leaders are only needed where there is a team for the program and should have at least 18 months experience with ENREACH programs

##it is possible to apply for positions outside the city where you currently live

How to apply

  1. Positions are advertised.
  2. Look for the detail on the advertisement in centre on how to apply.

Yes, by agreement from both yourself and the company. This a relatively straightforward process.

ENREACH offers standard two-year contracts. So you do not need to do this at the end of your first year. When you are a few months out from the end of your contract, your line manager will make a time to speak with you. This normally happens no later than three months before the end of the contract.

Then, two months before the expiry of your resident permit, we can apply to renew your work and then resident permit. Again, you will then need to go and re-register your new resident permit at your local police station.

ENREACH can apply to do this on your behalf within 60 days of its expiry. The process looks like this:

  • Sign a new contract (if it is expiring)
  • Hand your passport to HR for the company to renew your work permit. It is only needed for one day. The process can take up to 15 business days
  • ENREACH applies to renew your resident permit. You will need to hand your passport to HR. The process can take 7-15 business days. You will not have your passport during this time as it will be with the Public Security Bureau (PSB). You can receive a temporary passport (small slip of paper) to use in China in lieu of your passport for domestic travel, checking into a hotel etc.
  • ENREACH hands you back your passport with a new resident permit.
Yes. You may find yourself in the situation where you will need to renew your passport in China. For example, you lost your passport, are running out of pages, or it is about to expire. Not to worry, you can renew it while you are in China. Once you obtain your new passport, a few things will need to happen and according to Chinese entry and exit regulations the application for transferring the residence permit to the new passport must be made within 10 days. Therefore, we need to immediately take the following steps:
  • Apply for and receive your new passport.
  • Within 24 hours of receiving your new passport, visit your local police station to obtain a new or updated temporary residence registration form.
  • Within 7 days, hand in the following to HR:
  • Your old passport
  • Your new passport
  • Your new or updated temporary residence registration form
  • 6 x 2 inch photos
  • HR will then begin the process of updating your Foreign Work Permit (FWP)
  • Once the FWP is received, we will then apply to transfer the residence permit to your new passport at the Public Security Bureau (PSB). We will know the exact date the passport can be collected on the date of transfer application.
  • Once transferred, you can collect your old and new passport and temporary residence registration form.
  • Within 24 hours, visit your local police station again to register your new residence permit
Special Notice
  • If you have less than six months validity or three or less blank visa pages in your passport, you should start to make plans to renew it.
  • The FWP update takes up to 15 days. We only need your passports on the first and last day. You can leave them with HR the whole time or pick them up and drop them off again.
  • The residence permit transfer takes up to 10 days. You will not have your passports during this whole process and be unable to travel internationally. However, the PSB will supply a temporary passport, which you can use to travel domestically.
  • As timing is different in each location, please speak to your local HR:
    • Before renewing your passport
    • If you have any travel plans in the two months after renewing your passport
    • If you have any questions or concerns, please contact HR.